There is a huge increase in chronic illness, cancer, auto-immune disease, allergies than there were before in Australia. How can we prevent and avoid chronic illness such as diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, cancer and auto-immune problems. Below you will find use health and diet tips to help your body prevent these problems.
Did you know the following facts?
- Australians spend $6.6 billion on health and weight loss prods each year
- The average Australian consumes 30 teaspoons or 53kg per year of sugar and sweeteners per day (we only require 3 teaspoons daily),
- Australia is second fattest country in the world.
- Our modern diet is high calorie, low nutrition.
- Diets are temporary, it is proven that 90% fail and they end up putting all the weight they lost plus more.
- The focus should be on food and not on dieting
- Our bodies are self-healing, it is designed to be healthy, and so we must eat that way.
How do we stay healthy, lose weight, and prevent disease? Follow these 25 tips to get your health back on track and stay healthy and younger for longer.
Health and Weightloss Tips:
- Exercise at least 30-40 minutes at least 4 times a week. Exercise burns calories and quickens your metabolism. It also tones and shapes the body, provides energy during the day and better sleep at night. It builds core and muscular strength.
- Drink warm lemon water (1/2L) first thing in the morning – it is a blood cleanser, liver cleanser, helps weight-loss, removes toxins, alkalizes the body.
- Increase your water intake, at least 2+ L a day (50kg). No fizzy drinks or energy drinks, limit to only 1 cup coffee. Warm water is best for the body.
- If you problems losing weight, you may need to detox first. It helps let go of the weight. For a natural detox read more here.
- Eat foods that are high in nutrition, and low in calories. Not high in calories and low in nutrition!
- When we are deficient in nutrition, our bodies store fat (as a protection mechanism).
- Eat more good healthy fats (avocados, nuts, oils).
- Reduce processed sugars. White sugar is the worst thing for the body. Use natural sugars such as honey, maple syrup and stevia.
- Remove all processed foods. They contain additives, sugars, artificial colours, preservatives. This is eating food like products, not real food.
- Don’t eat something with a longer shelf life than you. They are full of preservatives.
- Eat real food, natural plant based foods, fruits, nuts and vegetables. Like our grandparents, if it doesn’t grow in nature don’t eat it!
- Have a more alkaline vegetable based diet – they contain phytonutrients, micronutrients and anti-oxidants. Cancer cannot thrive or grow in an alkaline body. We are all too acidic (we should have a blood pH range of 7.3-7.45)
- Learn to read the back of packet labels. If you don’t understand more than 3 things on the packet do not eat it. If sugar is one of top 3 ingredients also avoid it.
- Watch your portion control, if you want to lose weight, EAT LESS. For females, consume less than 1500 calories, for males consume less than 1800 calories a day.
- Have 5 small meals a day, rather than 3 large meals. This increases our metabolism.
- Avoid oily deep fried foods – if you are cooking use good cooking oils such as coconut, macadamia, avocado, olive oil. Avoid vegetable oil.
- Don’t drink too much alcohol, beer or wine. Drinking is equivalent to calories, and calories is weight gain. It is also highly acidic. Limit it to 1-2 drink maximum if you are drinking.
- White breads, sugars and table salt trick our body into thinking it is hungry. Avoid all white breads, rice, pasta.
- Learn to cook and put love into your food. Your body responds better to home cooked foods and you can control the amount of sugar, salt, additives.
- Do not feel guilty eating your food/snack. If you have something indulgent, just tell yourself you will try to do better next time. Your attitude towards food is important.
- Reduce stress in your life, stress leads to bad eating, and puts you in flight fight mode. This will shut down your immune system and digestive system. Low grade chronic stress causes the body to think it’s in a famine, so holds onto fat. Try to meditate, do yoga, go running.
- A healthy body leads to less chronic illnesses later in life, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cancer (these are all preventable with the right diet and lifestyle)
- Do a weight loss plan and stick to it. If you want to lose weight badly enough it is possible.
- Visualise for 5 minutes every morning. Picture your ideal bodyweight. Have a vision board, stick your ideal weight over the scales. This helps to connect your mind and body.
- Send love to your body daily. If you are good to your body it will be good to you! Say to yourself the mantra: “I accept myself unconditionally right now!”
Remember that HEALTH is a CHOICE! We can choose to be healthy and eat right or choose to be unhealthy and put toxic foods in our bodies.
Prevention is always better than cure, and it is financially cheaper in the long run.
If you need help with getting your health back on track or require help with weightloss, contact Eli Huang on 9728 6176 for an appointment.
To download this in pdf format click Healthy Ageing and Weight Loss Tips.