Cancer Prevention Tips with Acupuncture
Cancer is a destructive disease that attacks the body’s cells, organs and tissues; the basic building blocks of human life.
Cancer in Australia is growing at a rapid rate. 1 in 3 women before age 85 and 1 in 2 males will be diagnosed with cancer in Australia. Prostate is the most common cancer in Australia, with bowel cancer is the 2nd most common cancer in females and males. That’s over half the population!
Cancer is a disease that uses up the body’s resources. In addition, energy and blood will be severely damaged in those undergoing surgery, whereas radiotherapy and chemotherapy often result in poor appetite, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea and other adverse reactions in the gastrointestinal tract that severely impede the absorption and utilisation of nutrients. If the body takes in fewer nutrients than it needs to function properly, it will become extremely debilitated and less able to resist disease (Li, 2008).
Therefore in cancer patients, regulating nutrition plays a key role in recover from illness. Intake of the proper amount of basic nutrients at the right time is essential for repairing damaged tissues and maintaining an appropriate weight; proteins, fats and carbohydrates are the source of energy and vitamins, fibre and minerals participate in the metabolic process. All these nutrients should be taken in from the daily diet (Li, 2008).
Below are some tips which from various studies help in cancer prevention:
1. Green Tea – this is high in anti-oxidants – substances that fight free radicals. Many scientists believe that free radicals contribute to the aging process as well as the development of a number of health problems, including cancer and heart disease.
2. Dark green leafy vegetables – Many leafy greens are full of vitamins, minerals, and disease-fighting phytochemicals that help stop cancer before it starts. These include watercress, spinach, bok choy, broccoli and kale. Rich in fibre, which can lower cholesterol and blood pressure, it lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. Dark greens also contain beta-carotene and carotenoids, called lutein and zeaxanthin. Beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin are all powerful antioxidants that help play a role in blocking early stages of cancer development.
Research also suggests that diets low in folate may increase the risk of breast cancer (especially in those who drink alcohol), cervix and lung cancers.
3. 2L of warm/hot water – at least 2L+ of warm water is a great way to cleanse the bowels and move the intestines. Lack of water consumption leads to toxin build, up which can leads to high rates of bowel and stomach cancers in those who don’t drink enough water.
4. Cut down on excess sugars – sweet foods can cause damp and heat to build up in the body especially the spleen and pancreas, which can lead to damp and stagnation forming in the body.
5. Reduce your stress – stress and emotional depression leads to the liver being constrained which leads to stuck energy and leads to accumulation of masses and nodules to form. Research has also shown that cancer is hugely associated with the emotions.
6. Regular acupuncture treatments – this treats the body’s immune function. A strong immune system leads to better cellular immunity which can ward off cancer cells. When the body is free from obstruction, it leads to better energy flow and does not allow cancer cells to form.
7. Ganoderma – this type of Chinese herbal mushroom has been used in China for thousands of years for its health benefits. It helps regulate and increase the immune system, increase defense against tumors, high in anti-oxidant properties and anticancer effects, immunoregulatory effects, liver protecting effects, hypoglycemic, antibacterial and reduces blood pressure, just to name a few of its health benefits.
It has an inhibitory effect on cancer cells provided by certain ingredients in Ganoderma lucidum, it is one of the most effective medicines for anti-tumor, cancer prevention, and a supplement to cancer treatment.
This is available in our clinic in capsule form in high grade potency, try this and start increasing your immune function. (Call 612 8095 0822 for more information.)
Chinese historical medical texts on cancer discuss types of masses, cysts, fibroids and cancer occurring in the body. There were treatments using herbal medicine back in the Han dynasty period (206 BC – 220 AD) to treat cancer by softening and dissipating the masses in the body (Liver cancer), removing any stasis, remove phlegm (stomach cancer) and sweet warming techniques for treating lung cancer.
Chinese medicine oncology treatments reached its maturity during the Qing dynasty (1644 – 1911) for treatment of esophageal cancer, stomach cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer and kidney cancer.
From the Chinese medicine perspective, the body is seen as a whole, one entity. There are different thoughts as to the observation and cause of cancer.
1. Cancer is a toxin – which is an unwanted acute pathogen in the body that we need to purge in order to provide an exit for this pathogen.
What does metastatic cancer look like?
2. It is pathogenic phlegm – which is any nodule in the body that has accumulated and formed phlegm. Treatment is to break and transform the phlegm which has stagnated in the body.
3. Blood stasis – blood has stagnated in the body and formed blockages and masses.
4. Depression damages the Liver – excessive worry damages the Spleen, accumulated grudge in the heart leads to stagnation, which forms nodules. Breast cancer is vastly due to damage to liver and spleen through severe depression and emotional stress, which is the key emotion for causing cancer.
5. Weak Spleen and Kidney energy – people suffering from weakness disorder has a tendency to suffer from accumulation, esophageal cancer is extremely common in aging men, cancer tends to increase with age which reflects energy becoming weaker. Weak immune functions lead to a reduction in cellular immunity. Treatment is to supplement the body’s immune function. A strong immune function leads to strong energy which prevents cancer.
Chinese medicine is used in the prevention of cancer by increasing the body’s immune function and promoting smooth energy flow, it is also used during the treatments of chemo and radiotherapy to help increase energy and appetite.
Prolonged use of Chinese medicine can minimise post-operative metastasis, prolong cancer post-operative survival and help increase energy and improve the immune system.
Other interesting recent 2013 Australian Health Statistics are:
1 in 3 have high cholesterol
1 in 8 have liver disease
1 in 10 have kidney disease
Over 50% over 50 yrs of age have heart problems.