There has been a lot of research lately about what oils are healthy and which are dangerous for your health.
When we cook and consume certain oils, even some we think are supposedly good for us, have extreme side effects and are extremely bad for our health.
Over the last several decades healthy sources of fats were replaced with vegetable oils that were thought to be “better-for-you.” Now research tells us they have done more harm to us than good.
These 4 oils are some of the worst on our health and should be avoided at ALL costs:
- Canola Oil – There is no such thing as a canola in nature. This is actually a modified version of rapeseed oil. Asian and Indian cultures used rapeseed oil for centuries, but was never consumed in the amounts like the Western countries use it. Rape plant contains compounds of cyanide and ever the wild animals and insects in nature avoid this oil. It is also highly refined and bleached to become canola oil. This GMO oil has been shown to cause muscular disorders, fatty degeneration of the heart, kidneys, adrenals and thyroid glands and even memory loss (Auretti E. 2017).
- Cottonseed Oil – Thousands of commercially produced foods contain cottonseed oil, from canned foods, chips, packaged items, Gatorade. Cotton plants are highly sprayed to reduce insects and speed up the growth. Dangerous poisons are used on these crops turning them very toxic. It is not safe to consume even though it’s ok for making clothing.
- Safflower Oil – This oil contains high levels of omega-6s and polyunsaturated fats, which has been linked to increased cardiovascular disease and coronary artery disease.
- Vegetable Oil – This oil is perceived by many as healthy because of the word ‘vegetable’ in it. However, many studies have now shown that they are unnatural and extremely harmful to the body, especially in large quantities. It contains large amounts of Omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids which in excess can lead to chronic systemic inflammation all over your body. This inflammation can lead to serious illnesses such as cardiovascular disease, arthritis, depression and cancer. Vegetable oil also contains large amounts of trans fats. These fats are highly toxic and are associated with an increased risk of various diseases, like heart disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity.
Therefore we should avoid any oils which are highly processed such as:
- canola oil
- cottonseed oil
- sunflower oil
- soybean oil
- corn oil
- sunflower oil
- sesame oil
- grapeseed oil
- rice bran oil
Cooking with healthy plant and nut oils are significantly better for you health such as:
- olive oil
- coconut oil
- macadamia nut oil
- avocado oil
- butter is a healthier alternative