Hypnotherapy works by inducing a hypnotic state or trance marked by waking awareness that allows people to experience detached external attention and to focus on and make suggestions to the unconscious mind.
Hypnosis began in the late 1700s, however did not gain scientific credibility until more recently. Now many researchers have seen how it can help treat certain conditions and how effective it can be compared to other treatment options.
This can be used as part of a treatment plan to help with phobias, anxiety disorders, pain management, weight loss, quit smoking, fertility and many other applications.
During a hypnotherapy session, you are guided through a process to induce a trance-like state that helps to focus the unconscious minds and respond to more readily to suggestions, whilst becoming deeply relaxed. It uses the hypnotic state to help you focus on the problem at hand.
During the session you will experience…
- Relaxation: as you are guided to many different visualisations, peaceful relaxation and imagery.
- Suggestions: gentle suggestions for behavioural changes are made to help you deal with the current problem.
- Coping skills: You may be taught different certain cognitive-behavioral coping skills, using guided imagery, STOP techniques that can help you confront your fears and anxieties.
- Exploring past experiences: You may even be encouraged to talk about the first time you experienced a particular behaviour or problem that you are trying to overcome and how it made you feel during that time.
What Hypnotherapy Can Help With?
There are many reasons why a person might want to try hypnotherapy. Research suggests that these include problems with:
- Chronic pain conditions
- Memory issues
- Nausea and vomiting related to chemotherapy
- Pain during childbirth, dental procedures, or surgery
- Skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema
- Digestive symptoms such as IBS, Crohns, Constipation
- Symptoms ADHD
- Anxiety and phobias
Hypnotherapy gives you the power to control your mind to achieve a healthy life, transform deep patterns, behaviour and emotions that are stored in your unconscious mind. Hypnosis techniques and motivation from a qualified hypnotherapist such as Eli Huang can help to address a wide range of physical and psychological issues, including:
- Bad habits
- Eating disorders
- Addictions: smoking, drinking,gambling
- Weight loss
- Low self-esteem
- Chronic pain
- Memory issues
- Slow academic progress
- Bed wetting
- Fears and phobias
- Low self-confidence
- Poor memory
- Lack of motivation
- Nail biting
- Performance anxiety
- Premenstrual tension
- Sexual problems
- Poor sporting performance
- Fertility issues
- Preparation for childbirth
Benefits of Hypnotherapy
Some people may experience dramatic results with hypnotherapy. In other cases, you may simply feel very relaxed. Some of the benefits of hypnotherapy may include:
- Awareness: Different people experience various levels of trance during hypnosis, some go into light trance, medium or deep trance. You are able to recall everything that happens and even able to have conversations while under hypnosis. Some could be in such deep hypnosis they are detached from what is happening.
- Focus: hypnosis allows our unconscious brain to be aware our focus and attention when it is normally scattered and distracted by everyday noise.
- Relaxation: In the hypnotic state, you can feel deeply relaxed. Your conscious mind is quieted, allowing your unconscious mind to focus on your problem.
How Effective Is It?
The effectiveness varies depending on the individual. Hypnotherapy has been shown to have some degree of efficacy for certain treatments especially around:
- Pain reduction and control during dental procedures and childbirth
- Reduction in nausea and vomiting in individuals being treated for cancer with chemotherapy
- Reduction in the severity of symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
The results of a study published in the May 2021 issue of the Journal of Affective Disorders found that hypnotherapy was 44.6% effective for mild to moderate depression.
Hypnotherapy is still quite controversial and is usually confused as being a stage show where people go on stage and do outrageous suggestions.
Hypnotherapy does not cause you to forget what happened. You will remember all the things that occur during your hypnotic state, whether you are asleep or unconscious and you have the power to break the hypnotic trance at any time. You are safe when performed by an experienced hypnotherapist.
Hypnotherapy doesn’t cause you to lose control of yourself. During hypnotherapy, you remain in control at all times. Nothing can be forced onto you or you do anything that is against your will during hypnosis. You are always in charge.
Being hypnotizable doesn’t mean you are less intelligent. While some people believe that they cannot be hypnotized, research suggests that most people are hypnotizable to a certain degree. Only about 10% of people are difficult or impossible to hypnotise.
While hypnotherapy is generally safe and however it is always best to have a chat to see if hypnosis may be beneficial to you.
Eli Huang is a qualified Master Hypnotherapist with the Amercian Board of Hypnotherapy and has had proper training to guide and answer any questions you may have.